Community Programs and CPR Press Releases CERT Responder Newsletters CERT Responder Newsletters

History

Fire Department 1927The idea of a Fire Department in the City of Boca Raton began in 1925 with the creation of Ordinance #72. Ordinance #72 stated that the Fire Chief would be paid $150 a year, and all firefighters would receive $4 per fire, and $2 per training drill.

Guy J. Bender, M.W. Stokes, John LaMont, Harry Purdom, Stroud Eldredge, Kline Platt, J.K McClintock, F.M. Thomason, S. Jerkins, O. Arnold, and O. Ozier became the first proud firefighters for the City of Boca Raton. Old Betsy, the city's first fire engine, arrived in 1926.

The city issued a check for $1,000 and $11,500 in notes to American LaFrance, payable over three years at six percent, for Old Betsy. The Town Council issued $500,000 in bonds to fund the construction of City Hall, the water plant, and to fund the Fire Department. Old Betsy found a home in the south bay of old City Hall on Federal Highway.