It takes four seconds or less for someone to break into your vehicle. While you can't stop every auto burglary, there are several things you can do to make your car a less attractive target for thieves.
- Keep your vehicle clean and limit what you keep inside it.
- Make sure you do not leave personal property, such as purses, wallets, electronic devices, sunglasses, computer or book bags, etc, inside your vehicle.
Always park in a populated, well-lit area and remember that thieves lie in wait in parking lot and watch as items are left in vehicles or put in trunks. Simply by securing items in your trunk will not safeguard them from auto burglary. Be aware of people who loiter, lift door handles, or are looking into vehicle windows. Report these persons to police by calling (561) 368-6201 or 911.
Are you witnessing potential criminal activity?
Did you know that many criminal cases have been solved and arrests made because citizens have called the Boca Raton Police Department to report suspicious persons or activity? Your phone calls DO make a difference! Call 561-368-6201 or 911 if you see any of the following:
- Vehicles circling or driving slowly through the area.
- People loitering or whom you don't recognize.
- Strange vehicles backed up to a garage door in a residential area.
- Unknown persons walking behind, or seen emerging from, the rear of a home or closed business.
- Someone attempting to hide behind trees or shrubbery.
- Persons lifting up door handles or looking into vehicle windows (in parking lots, at beaches, parks, schools, malls, etc.)
If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't. Call us right away. You can meet with an officer or choose to remain anonymous.